Some people get very excited with roles, and quickly the number of roles proliferates to huge numbers…Until this happens
ORA-28031: maximum of 148 enabled roles exceeded
But in helping someone out on AskTom, I just found a nice touch in 18.104.22.168. I had granted my account 200 roles (since the max_enabled_roles parameter is capped at 148), fully expecting to get the standard error when attempting to connect. But I didn’t – all was fine. You can see what is going on via the following demo.
SQL> begin 2 for i in 1 .. 200 loop 3 execute immediate 'create role rr'||i; 4 execute immediate 'grant rr'||i||' to scott'; 5 end loop; 6 end; 7 / PL/SQL procedure successfully completed. SQL> SQL> conn scott/tiger Connected. SQL> select count(*) from session_roles; COUNT(*) ---------- 148
So even though I granted 200 roles, when I queried SESSION_ROLES, I did not see all 200 , I only saw 148.
My alert.log shows this
Wed Nov 30 10:32:35 2016
Maximum of 148 enabled roles exceeded for user SCOTT. Not loading all the roles.
Some people might prefer an explicit error, but hopefully any good alert log monitoring would quickly pick this up. And since if you exceed 148 there is no workaround (except to reduce the number of roles granted), I think avoiding the error is a better strategy.